Sunday, March 2, 2008

Samantha

This w-i-p is the Kate Gilbert "Samantha" tunic I just got the pattern for at Knitting Etc., and dove into with eagerness to be knitting at a smaller gauge (#'s 3 and 4), after Cayuga Cardigan, Central Park Hoodie, Little Einstein Jacket, plus a few hats and scarves, all at # 7 and above. Even with a lot of stockinette, this sweetie has the delicacy of a smocked dress, and entertains me enough. You can't yet see its true prospects, of picot hems, from turning under and sewing in place the invisible/provisional cast on, or the little dance of stitches on the front panel edges or the little trick down the sleeves, etc.: trust me, it has its touches. I've been away visiting my mother and my son and d-i-l (who loves her new Central Park Hoodie), and the twins--to die for-- and have managed at the ends of the days to do this much of Samantha (again, the one curse of the single woman driving: can't knit for those four-and-a-half hours; though I'm listening to Three Cups of Tea, which I'd not have time to read at home, so it's a fine trade-off).
I do wonder what the hell I'm doing knitting all the time; it's a powerful question that fires through my mind, when I'm not knitting. Many are the answers and questions grafted on to that first one, but I'll not explore them here.

Anyway, my Samantha-in-progress, and the Little Einstein, with orange borders and ribbed sleeve cuffs.

I have an eye appointment in the morning, and wonder if I can knit in the doctor's office while I wait for dilation to subside. We'll see.

No comments: